Pages

Monday, January 25, 2010

Colby's Pre-Deluxe Tappan Stove

Colby emailed me photos of his stove and asked if I was able to tell him how old his Tappan stove is.  The stove was purchased with his 1930's bungalow and has the model # W-55.

The stove is obviously pre-Tappan Deluxe...but has essentially the same body as the Deluxe (it's 38" wide). Whenever I see pictures of these earlier stoves, I pull out the Sales Manuals I have for 1940 and 1941 Tappan Philgas stoves. Sure enough, I was able to find an almost identical stove in the 1941 Ads.  Colby's stove is not a Philgas, but it narrows down the year of his stove to the early 1940's.

One item, Colby's stove has that the Philgas (model # 541) stove does not have is a timer on the back splash. Tappan also made a Philgas model #741 that included a back splash timer, but had a window in the oven door that Colby's does not.

The Philgas Tappan model 541 sold for $118.50 in 1941.

Colby, what do you think? Make sense? Also, I'm curious...what does that patch on the oven door say?









2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the info with this picture ours is just like this but with a window in the oven and some awesome porceline one piece range covers if I ever see a place to email you I will send a couple of pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can u tell me how to light the oven? I just FINALLY found the fucking oven knob thanks to u guys! ;b

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails