Pages

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Center of Attention

I received the following email from Joe M.  We met Joe's Tappan Deluxe, Precious,  last year. At that time, Precious was sitting in Joe's garage. Joe is a commercial designer, so I was excited to see the new kitchen design with Precious as the centerpiece.
"Dear Tappan Talk,

Now that I have been able to move my stove Precious into place I am ready to seriously address some of her operational issues. My Tappan is a 1950 AV669-16 previously posted in your blog and although her knobs are working (glowing red) I found the cove lights do not work nor does the clock. I want to remove the cove containing these components but am wondering if the electrical components will cleanly “unplug” from the stove body in the removal process. Do you have any information? Also I have found your blog extremely helpful regarding my oven pilot light. This will not stay lighted but I found references to this problem under both Thermocouple and Thermostat and will re-address this with a qualified stove technician and hope to fix this as well as regulate the thermostat. Fingers crossed I won’t have to have it re-built!"
And then a quick update from Joe...
"...I have been tweeking the kitchen still further, switched-out the clock for one with a chrome (plastic) frame w/black face & white numbers & this weekend I bought a stainless steel shelf from IKEA to hang below the clock instead of the Victorian one I currently have. I’m trying to add a more commercial look/feel to the stove area to compliment Precious.

My kitchen guy has now added upper cabinets to which I am adding lights as well & with these cheap base cabinets, the kick bases are all the same as the cabinet finish….white…so I’m getting 20’ of black vinyl cove to glue to the kick base. The black will look more authentic and also help diffuse the differences in white between the floor and cabinet. I’ll send pics of this too when I finish."
This kitchen looks like it's out of the pages of a magazine. Thanks for sharing them Joe!







2 comments:

  1. I have a Tappan that is very similar to Joe's. (I don't have model # with me now)- We have used it for 18 years, and got it from its original owner! It works great, except for the past year or so the oven seems to run very hot. I really can't bake anything that requires a moderate to slow bake, like a cake, or roast. Is it difficult to replace the thermostat? Are they difficult to find? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to replace the Robertshaw oven Thermostat.I am sure you can locate some one that woks on vintage stove to assist you in securing one. Most any major appliance repairman that is AGA certified can do the repair (replacement).

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails